British Mountain Guides
Welcome to the website of British Mountain Guides (BMG), which is the national association that:
- Trains and assesses mountain guides in all forms of climbing, mountaineering and ski mountaineering.
- Sets professional standards for services offered by BMG members.
- Promotes safety, enjoyment, and good practice in climbing and mountaineering.
BMG is a member of the International Federation of Mountain Guide Associations (IFMGA), which is the body that coordinates the standards and mutual recognition of the twenty-six national mountain guide associations. A British Mountain Guide is an IFMGA Guide, which put simply, means an internationally qualified guide with the knowledge and skills to lead parties in the world’s most challenging mountain environments.
IFMGA Mountain Guides are the most qualified and experienced professionals to lead people in the mountains with a training and assessment that takes many years and exceptional skills to achieve.
On this website you will find information on:
- The extensive experience and thorough training and assessment required to become qualified as a British Mountain Guide.
- The wide range of expert services offered by BMG members.
- How to contact BMG members, and how to browse our members list, with a useful search tool to help you locate guides to match your requirements.
From first steps to the biggest objectives, a British Mountain Guide is an expert in techniques and safety, and a reliable companion for your adventures.
In November 2012 the British Mountain Guides hosted the international meeting of the IFMGA (International Federation of Mountain Guides Associations) in the Highlands of Scotland. The week culminated with the IFMGA climbing competition at Edinburgh's superb 'Ratho' climbing wall....